Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

It has been an egh weekend. Tired of all this rain, making everything muggy and wet. When will this humidity go away. I can't do my hair. Also this weather makes me a bit gloomy.

Book: Not reading anything at the moment. Might read two books, a spanish one and the next Anita Blake book in the series if I can find it in the library.

iTunes: Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push II.

Pandora: Incubus - Drive. Good song to hear when I'm feeling kind of down or worried. Can't let fear rule my life, I must be in control.

Quote: Calmness is the cradle of power. J.G. Holland. Must keep this in mind.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Cup all-purpose flour
  2. 1 cup sugar
  3. 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  4. 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  5. 10 egg whites, at room temperature
  6. 1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  7. 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Serves: 12
Per Serving: 125 cal, 5g pro, 1g carb, 1g fiber, 1g fat, 0g sat fat, 47mg sodium
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar into medium bowl. Stir in cocoa and cinnamon.
    • So far so good here. No problems sifting.
  2. Place egg whites in large bowl. Beat until foamy with electric mixer on medium speed. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and vanilla extract. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
    • This is when problems started. I don't have an electric mixer, so I had to use my hands and a spoon and I kept stirring and stirring until it looked right. Then I folded the mixture in and kept stirring until it was smooth and nice looking.
  3. 3 Pour batter into 10" tube pan, spreading evenly and deflating large air pockets with knife. Bake 40 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool upside down 40 minutes before removing cake from pan.
    • Everything is  still good. I put it in the pan, place it in the oven and wait for it to cook.
    • Now is when everything goes wrong. I take it out, let it cool, and taste it. It tastes terrible. This is one recipe that I would say skip. I think what went wrong was the unsweetened cocoa powder. It tastes like nothing. Hence the cake came out tasting like nothing. It was just a waste of good ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment