Monday, September 12, 2011

Chicken & Sweet Potato Stir-Fry

A good weekend, especially Saturday. Saturday's are turning out to be my favorite day of the week. Things seem to be getting better. I just wish I wouldn't be so lazy at times. I was supposed to update last Wednesday but I was feeling a little tired and out of it. I blame the humidity, which I hope leaves this week or something.

Book: Bless Me Ultima - Rudolfo Anaya. A great book and one I recommend for everyone.

iTunes: The Cranberries - Zombie.

Pandora: Wisin & Yandel - Rakata. A weird combination of music this morning but fun nonetheless.

Quote: Do as much as possible, and talk of yourself as little as possible. - Sallust. Interesting advice. I will focus on doing much.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Cup water
  2. 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  3. 1 sweet potato (about 8 oz), peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
  4. 4 tsp Canola oil
  5. 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 pieces.
  6. 1 onion, chopped
  7. 1 jalapeno Chile pepper, finely chopped
  8. 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  9. 1 clove garlic, minced
  10. 1 tsp ground cumin
  11. 1 cup frozen peas
  12. 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
  13. 1/4 tsp salt
  14. 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Servings: 4
Per Serving: 307 cal, 24g pro, 34g carb, 6g fiber, 8g fat, 1g sat fat, 264mg sodium
Directions
  1. Bring water and quinoa to a boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 12 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed.
    • This is the first time cooking and eating quinoa. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Also I was wondering if it would actually come out okay.
  2. Place sweet potato in saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until just tender. Drain.
    • While the quinoa was cooking I took the sweet potato my mom peeled and cut to the saucepan and began cooking it until tender. After it was cooked with her help I drained the hot water.
  3. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in large nonstick skillet or cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes, or until starting to brown. Transfer to bowl.
    • No problems cooking the meat, though there was a moment when I was worried about burning myself.
  4. Return pan to heat and add remaining oil. Stir in onion and jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add bell pepper, garlic, and cumin. Cook 2 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften. Stir in peas and reserved chicken and cook 2 minutes. Add quinoa and potato. Cook, stirring, until heated through. remove from heat and stir in cilantro, salt, and black pepper.
    • Before I started the meal, I had chopped all the things that needed to be done. The onion made my eyes burn horribly. The Jalapeno left my hands tasting spicy and smelling of it. Other than that I cooked the meal as the directions said to do and I had no problem. I'm not a huge fan of jalapeno or onion and pepper. Other than that the quinoa was good along with the chicken and sweet potato. My parent's really enjoyed this meal.

Next posting will be on Cran-Almond Muffins.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, any dish with sweet potato is a must try. I think I am going to hire you to make my post-gym dinners lol. When do I get to sample some goodies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. If I ever make it at my sister's house, you will be the first person to be invited. :D

    ReplyDelete