Friday, May 27, 2011

Italian Style Eggs

To be honest we aren’t really following a diabetic diet. When things get hectic or something happens to change the normal schedule, we don’t stick to what we are supposed to. I’m guessing stress causes us to eat whatever we find or over eat a bit. I still don’t eat rice. But haven’t really made an effort to eat healthy. Starting tomorrow, I will try to force my family to be more conscious of what we are eating. I am also going to cut back on soda. At least I stopped my mother from buying me soda to store at home. Water shall be my liquor at home and in restaurants as well, besides sodas are expensive in restaurants anyway. The most I will indulge outside are on alcoholic beverages. As for juice, I will have my normal cup of orange juice in the morning to wake me up and then water for the rest of the day. Or if I really want something slightly sweet, we have iced tea. I think its diet ice tea or something but that will help when I crave juice.
I was also looking at my blog and I definitely need to change the picture. I just don’t know of what. I will definitely try to draw something, or get some sort of interesting picture to depict me, especially because I am no longer using that cook book. Occasionally I will go back and pull a recipe if I can’t find anything else.
Book: Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman. It’s a nonfiction novel about the death of certain rock stars and how it affects culture. Why are they more famous once they die? Other themes pop up, of course, on his journey across the sites where these rock legends met their end.
iTunes: Show Me Love (Extended Version) – T.a.t.u. One of my favorites from them. When they first came out, I wanted to buy the CD but my sister was against the idea. I don’t understand her reasoning. But in time I got it and it was pretty good. I still listen to it to this day and one day hope to sing karaoke to the song Stars and be able to do the Russian part.
Pandora: Tha Crossroads – Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. This was the first song I heard from the group and I remember being slightly scared of the video when I was younger. What scared me was the man that was supposed to be the reaper who was taking souls of people in the video. He just gave me goose bumps.  
Quote: Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get. – George Bernard Shaw. Almost feels as if the universe is trying to tell me something. I will try to share my feelings but I just need a little more time.
Ingredients                                                                               Serves: 4
1.      4 Slices (1/2 thick) French or Italian bread                                                                
2.      ¼ cup Canola oil
3.      ¼ cup finely chopped onion
4.      ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
5.      6 plum tomatoes chopped
6.      1/8 tsp salt
7.      1/8 tsp ground black pepper
8.      4 large eggs
Directions
1.      Warm large nonstick Skillet over medium-high heat. Brush 1 side of each bread slice with oil. Place oiled side down in pan.  Brush tops with oil. Cook 2 minutes on each side, or until toasted. Place slice of toast on each of 4 plates. Set aside.
a.       Before making anything I grabbed the onions, green bell pepper and the plum tomatoes. I washed them carefully and with a knife and cutting board I proceeded to chop them into tiny pieces. The onions made me eyes sting a bit, everything else was fine. Also chopping was a bit weird since I don’t really know how to do it. I just cut it into little pieces. I wish I knew how to learn that quick chopping skills chef’s have. If they don’t, then what is wrong with them? Then I grabbed the Italian bread, brushed it with the canola oil using a spoon. No problem here.  
2.      Set pan over medium heat. Add remaining oil, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Stir in tomatoes, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, or until tomatoes make chunky sauce. Create 4 indentations in sauce with large spoon.
a.       I gently placed the oinion, bell pepper and oil. Stirred like the instructions say and then add the tomatoes, along with the rest of the stuff. I forgot to take a picture of this step. Sorry. I cooked for 5 minutes and waited a bit longer but my tomatoes didn’t make any chunky sauce. Which made sad and I wondered if I had done something wrong. Though I continued.
3.      Break 2 of the eggs into 2 custard cups. Gently tip each egg into one of the indentations. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cover and simmer 6 to 8 minutes, or until whites are completely set.
a.       I don’t know what custard cups are, I should have looked it up before attempting to do this but I wanted to have this done. I am a little behind and there are many other awesome recipes’ I want to try. I had to cook the yolk as well. If I had followed the recipe down the last letter it would have left the yolk slightly uncooked. Which is fine with me but my parents don’t like that. They prefer their yolk fully cooked.
4.      Place egg and accompanying sauce on top of toast. Spoon remaining sauce evenly around egg.
a.       I had no extra sauce, just scattered tomatoes, onions and green bell pepper. I didn’t think I was going to like it, because I’m not a huge fan of onions and peppers but it came out delicious. Both my parents loved it but I only had a little bite because I wasn’t too hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment