Sunday, August 28, 2011

Crispy Chicken Salad

I guess the hurricane alert is over. Today was just super windy, with little or no rain. Not sure if trees in my area have fallen but that's because I haven't left the house. Good thing nothing happened to my home, though there are people complaining about the lack of inactivity. Isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

Book: The Stand by Stephen King. Haven't read much today.

iTunes: You've got the Love - Florence and the Machine. Such a great song about how God will lift her through all the bad times. Well at least to me it sounds like its about God.

Pandora: Main title- from the soundtrack to The Last of the Mohican's. Great movie.

Quote: One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Ingredients:
  1. 4 thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1lb total)
  2. 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
  3. 2 oz sliced reduced-sodium black forest deli ham
  4. 2 oz sliced low-fat Swiss cheese
  5. 1 lg egg white, beaten
  6. 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  7. 4 cup baby arugula (about 4 oz)
  8. 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
  9. 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Servings: 4
Nutrition: (per servings) 228 Cal, 34g pro, 11g carb, 1g fiber, 4.5g fat, 1g sat fat, 334 mg sodium

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 425 F. Lightly oil baking sheet.
    • No problems here.
  2. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and evenly distribute ham and cheese on top. Beginning with a short side, roll up breasts, securing with wooden picks.
    • I washed the chicken and then seasoned with black pepper. The ham still tasted a bit salty and I am left wondering if he really did give me something in low sodium. At first I worried that the toothpicks wouldn't be strong enough to cut through but they were.
  3. Put egg white and Panko in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in egg and then panka to coat. Put on prepared pan.
    • Threw out the yolk of the egg. I wasn't sure what to do with it.
  4. Bake, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
    • It was so hot the inside of the oven, my mother had to help me turn it.
  5. Remove wooden picks and cut chicken into slices. Serve on a bed of arugula with tomatoes and squeeze with lemon.
    • There were two toothpicks I had trouble locating but I got them all out. The arugula with just tomatoes and lemon juice was a bit weird.
I don't like the mix of chicken with ham and cheese. It did not taste good to me, but my parents loved it. Though they did not like the arugula too much.

Next meal will be a cheesecake tart.



No comments:

Post a Comment