Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bison Burgers!

Hurricane warning for us. So far not much has happened aside from some rain and lots, LOTS of humidity. Hopefully it just rains with just thunder and lighting. At least to get rid of this humidity. It's just giving me a headache.

Some days I'm good on other days I feel incredibly blue. But I think they are lessening. I just wish for good things to come my way.

Book: The Stand by Stephen King. I am half way through. It's his uncut version. Some parts I wish were left out but I love reading the detailed background on the main characters.

iTunes: The egg and You from the Cowboy Bebop anime. There is something about the beginning of the song that makes me think of Charlie Brown. It's the piano part.

Pandora: Don't Stop Dancing - Kaskade. This could be a message from life or the universe telling me I can't stop dancing. Better things are on their way. Such an uplifting song. I love having songs on shuffle because the randomness could be a message to uplift or to bring my attention to something. Or I could be going crazy.

Quote: Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt. Great quote for these times.

Ingredients:
  1. 1lb ground bison or buffalo, preferably grass fed.
  2. 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  3. 6 Tbsp hot pepper jelly
  4. 4 thin slices 2% milk cheddar (1 oz total)
  5. 3 tomatoes sliced
Servings: 4
Nutrition: (per serving) 254 Cal, 25g pro, 18g carb, 1g fiber, 9.5g fat, 4g sat fat, 217mg sodium

Directions:
  1. Combine bison, Worcestershire, and 2 tablespoons of the jelly. Form into 4 equal (3 1/2 diameter) patties.
    • I used buffalo meat, which was a bit pricey also a bit hard to find. It seems that all they sell around where I live is chicken, pork and cow. I don't think I've seen Lamb but I could be wrong. The meat we bought said that it was enough for three burgers, which was perfect because it's just my parents and me eating. Also, I did not find hot pepper jelly so I got hot sauce. Not sure if it was a good substitute but it's all I had. I only used a little but not the required amount. I think I should have used more because it was evenly distributed the spiciness. The piece I had burned lightly. I need to learn how to season this to make sure it covers the whole thing and is evenly distributed.
  2. Heat lightly oiled grill to medium heat. Grill burgers 4 minutes, flip and top with cheese. Grill 3 to 4 minutes longer for medium-rare. Let burgers stand 5 minutes.
    • The grill I used was a small George Foreman Grill. It could hold two burgers at most but I put one in the center and made them one by one.
    Kind of nasty looking.
  3. Serve burgers with tomatoes and remaining 4 tablespoons jelly.
    • I served the burger with one slice of cheese and one thick slice of tomato on wheat bread burger buns. Not sure if I'm supposed to put more slices of tomatoes into but I didn't. My parents liked it, my mom, though, wished her piece was spicier. My was perfect, though I added ketchup because I love ketchup on my burgers.

 We ate it with Caesar salad, an odd combination, though the Caesar salad didn't taste as good as it usually does. It made me kind of sad. But I enjoyed the hot sauce taste of my burger, though it needed to be spread to the other two pieces. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment