Monday, June 27, 2011

Linguine with Fresh Tomato Sauce

Still quiet with occassional moments of gloominess but those are lessening.

Book: The Gastronomical Me by MFK Fisher. Still on this book. Hopefully by this week I will have finished it.

iTunes: Korn - Bottled up Inside. The dangers of bottling things up. Something I know all too well.

Pandora: Marc Anthony - Se me sigue Olvidando. Sigh. This song just makes me a little blue.

Quote: It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well. - Rene Descartes. I am trying to use it better.

Ingredients:
  1. 3 Tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
  2. 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  3. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  4. 2lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped (about 6 tomatoes or 3 cups chopped
  5. 12 oz linguine
  6. 16 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
  7. 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Servings: 4
Per serving: 489 cal, 16g pro, 73g carb, 5g fiber, 15g fat, 3g sat fat, 431mg sodium

Directions:
  1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion. cook, stirring occassionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
    • Slicing the onion was an interesting tiral. It was a fresh onion and wehn I cut into it a mily liquid quickly came out. As I cut a second time my eyes quickly began burning. It was very painful and my eyes stung horribly. Despite the discomfort I continued. Once it was thinly sliced, as well as I could get it. I went to the sink, washed my hands and then washed my poor eyes.
    • Unfortunately my mother did not buy 6 full tomatoes, she bought plum tomatoes, which, in the end, did not make enough sauce. She felt that it would have been too much but it was needed. In addition, I don't know how to peel tomatoes. Do I use a peeler? I should have researched a bit more but I was eager to get started with a new recipe. All I did with the tomatoes I had was chop them and clean out the seeds and then cooked it as I was supposed to. Making the pasta sauce gave off a wonderful smell to the apartment. It was truly great.
  2. Cook about 10 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken. Prepare pasta according to package directions while sauce cooks, undercooking slightly. Drain pasta well and add to simmering sauce. cook about 2 minutes, until sauce has thickened and pasta is done. Add basil and remaining oil and toss to combine. Serve topped with cheese.
    • I used the entire linguine in the small box. So much pasta and not enough sauce. Also, we didnt find fresh basil leaves and so I used choppped basil leaves that we have and added a bit to the sauce.
    • This tasted truly great, I just wished I had more sauce to add and maybe some Italian bread to go with it. I almost served myself seconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment