Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cheese Omelet

It's been a quiet week. There was a moment yesterday where I felt gloomy but by talking about it to my friends I felt better. I guess there are still some things I need to get off my chest but at the same time I'm happy to focus on my job and my two volunteer programs. I just need to find out if I got into the college I applied and I am set. It's also kind of nice to be meeting people who are doing the things I want to do. They have been super supportive of me and have encouraged me to keep going.

Book: The Gastronomical Me by MFK Fisher. I love how she describes the food she eats, such great and juicy details. I get hungry to eat what she eats when I read some of the passages.

iTunes: Out of the Frying Pan - Junya Nakano, Masashi Hamauzu & Nobuo Uematsu. Taken from the Final Fantasy X Soundtrack. That was a great game and one of my favorite FF. I think they play this when Tidus has been swept into the ruins of the temple of Anima, right before he meets Riku for the first time and gets rescued.

Pandora: Moondance - Michael Bublé. His voice makes me think of Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald.

Quote: Friendship is one mind in two bodies. - Mencius True friendship should feel like that.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Large egg
  2. 2 egg whites
  3. 1 tsp water
  4. pinch of salt
  5. pinch of ground black pepper
  6. 2 tsp olive oil
  7. 1/2 small zucchini, sliced
  8. 1/4 cup sliced red onion
  9. 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

The ingredients.

Servings: 1
Perserving: 208 Cal, 18g pro, 6g carb, 1g fiber,
13g fat 4g sat fat, 484mg sodium

















Directions:
  1. Beat egg, egg whites, water, salt, and pepper in bowl with fork just to blend. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in 8" nonstick skillet over medium heat.
    • I think I added too much egg whites the first time I did it. I have a little carton full of egg whites mixture and I am unsure what would be enough for just one egg white. Also, I usually make my eggs with butter instead of using oil. I think that next time I will use butter instead of the oil.
  1. Sauté zucchini and onion 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Set aside. 
    • No problem there.
  2. Heat remaining oil in same skillet and pour in egg mixture. Stir constantly with heatproof rubber spatula until eggs thicken to a custardy consistency, 10 to 20 seconds. Tilt pan to allow any uncooked egg to run to the side. Run spatula all around edge of omelet.
    • Now I think I used too much oil the first time I made time, so it seemed a bit too greasy for my tastes. I would recommend 1 ½ tsp of olive oil or to use the oil that remains from step two. The second time I made the omelet it came out less greasy. As for making the omelet, it was a bit difficult. I wanted it to come out smooth and a soft yellow like in the picture but that did not happen. It didn't look pretty but at least it tasted alright. While I was cooking I wondered if it would be a good idea to mix the raw eggs with zucchini and oinions and cook them together. Would it change the taste, would it come out horribly? It could cut down on cooking time. Something to ponder if I decide to remake it.
  3. Top half of omelet with zucchini, onion, and cheese. Fold over. Let stand 30 seconds to set around filling.
    • For a second I had almost forgotten to add the parmesan. I did not eat with bread. Just ate it alone, but next time I might add Italian bread or some whole wheat or grain bread. The egg tasted good, though I think I would have prefered to have made it with butter. I think a low fat or low sodium butter would work. The zucchini tasted fine and so did the onion. I was surprised to find that I enjoy onions, they added a unique taste and were great when eaten with the zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment