Monday, January 31, 2011

Little Breakfast Soufflé

I noticed that I have one follower. It's a little exciting. I can only hope that more than one person is stopping by at this page and reading my cooking experiments. Hopefully more people will become my followers. I wish I could know how many people stopped by and actually read my blog. I look forward to the day in which I will find a comment.

Last week, right after I had posted about the baked french toast,  I was explaining my blog to my sister and she said, "why not make it song of the week and quote of the week?" She is right. I only post once a week. I would like to post everyday but I need money to get the ingredients. I am not working and must rely on my parents for  providing the ingredients. Furthermore, I think I would be too lazy to write everyday but I am working on making sure I post at least once a week. Hopefully, this blog wont fade into obscurity.

Book I'm reading: The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Still with this book. Not really enjoying it as much as I thought but I will finish it.

Song from Pandora: Lacuna Coil - Aeon. I have never heard of this song but it seems okay. I don't think it applies in any aspect of my life.

Song from iTunes: Muse - Apocalypse Please. Unfortunately my iTunes was not in shuffle. I didn't notice and this is the first song to play since I have my iTunes in order by Albums. I just love how it starts, so powerful. Maybe something in my life needs to end or I am waiting for some sort of miracle or something to pull me forward. This sort of reminds me of this line from Fight Club, when the Tyler Durden or the narrator says that in order to make myself better I would have to destroy myself. I guess reach rock bottom and then reach up or fix myself after destroying myself. I'll think more on this. Maybe comment on it later after some reflection.

Quote of the Week: Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. - William Penn. This is true of me.

Ingredients:
  1. Cooking Spray
  2. one egg
  3. two egg whites
  4. 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  5. 1/3 cup low-fat milk
  6. pinch of salt
  7. 3 tablespoons of reduced-fat Swiss or cheddar cheese, grated
  8. two tablespoons diced deli ham.

In the picture above I am missing the cooking spray. The book says that this is not a Soufflé "in the strictest sense." Not really sure what that means but okay. This is from the breakfast section. Though I ended making this at 11PM at night. Weird, but it was fun.

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Coat 6 muffin tins with Cooking spray.
    • I don't have a muffin tin but I bought Baking Cups and they worked okay.
  2. Whisk vigorously in a bowl the egg, egg whites, flour, milk, and salt.
    • This is where I went wrong. I did whisk everything but I also added the cheese and the ham. Which wasn't really diced i just ripped it to shreds with my hands. They were clean. So no worries about dirty hands and contaminated food. I whisked everything. I was just not paying attention. I think I was having too much fun throwing stuff into the bowl where I was mixing things.
  3. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with batter and sprinkle with 1/6 of the cheese and 1/6 of the ham.
    • Since everything was together I just filled the cups 2/3rds of the way.
  4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until the soufflés are golden brown and beautifully puffed. Serve immediately.
    • With my mother's help we managed to pull it out. Actually she did most of the work. I just watched her not burn herself. I made my mother taste it first. Terrible I know. I should have been the first one to taste it but I didn't feel like eating it until she decreed it tasted good. It actually did but it needed to have put a bit more salt. But my dad can't have too much salt in his diet so its all good.

The next one will be Basic Bran Muffins. Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment