Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Baked French Toast with Sugar-Free Syrup

It's been a while since I have written and for that I apologize. I may have said, not too sure and don't feel like checking at this moment,  that once a week I'd update but I have been super lazy. It has gotten astronomical and disgusting the level of laziness I have reached. However, I hope to start this and stick with it. I may have to beat or punish myself if I don't update at least once a week. Now onto the Recipe and my results.

Book I'm reading: The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
Song from Pandora: Portishead - Over. I had not heard this song but I love it. Not sure if I can apply it to my cooking experiment.
Song from iTunes: My Chemical Romance - I'm not Okay (I Promise). I want to say that this is my music list trying to tell me I'm not really okay. Which I'm not. I need to stop being so lazy and get my s*** together.
Quote of the day: Go forth a Conqueror and win great victories. - Virgil. I think that this is life or something telling me something. I like to believe that randomly listening to my iTunes or Pandora can tell me something. Again I am a little crazy and just a little odd but its never a dull moment. I shall try to let that show through my writing and I hope people are reading this, even if they don't comment or follow.

Ingredients:
  1. Cooking spray.
  2. One cup low-fat milk.
  3. Two Eggs
  4. One egg white
  5. 1/4 cup Splenda
  6. 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
  7. Six slices of stale bread (or Fresh Bread lightly toasted)
  8. Three tablespoons sugar free syrup or spoonful of fruit spread
Sugar-Free Syrup
  1. 1/2 cup, pluse 1 tablespoon water
  2. one teaspoon cornstarch
  3. two tablespoons fruit spread
  4. one tablespoon splenda

Those are the ingredients I used. I used Wheat bread because that is what we have at home and the brown sugar because we had no splenda and I hate splenda to be honest.

Directions:
  1. "Preheat oven to 350 F and coat the cookie sheet with cooking Spray."
    • Not so bad. Didn't use a cookie sheet but a crystal glass thing used for making lasagna.
  2. "Whisk together in a large bowl the milk, eggs, egg white, splenda and cinnamon. Cut the bread slices in half to make 12 pieces. Dip the slices in the batter and let them soak for 10 seconds."
    • I whisked by hand and it wasnt so bad for my first cooking experiment but there was a point where I was worried that the egg would not mix well. Also with my mother's help, she removed the egg white. I could have done it but she was hovering at the entrance amused and staring at me. I ended up using Brown sugar because I did not have enough Splenda and besides Brown sugar is better than splenda, for me. But in the future I will try to have a box of splenda near by so as to follow the recipe. I did not cut the bread. I just took three slices of wheat bread and dipped them into the mix.
  3. "Arrange soaked bread on the prepared cookie sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes. Carefully flip the slices halfway thorugh cooking."
    • It wasn't too difficult to place the sheet inside the oven, but I was afraid of turning the slices. That is when my mother's hovering became useful. I asked her to turn them over because I was afraid of burning myself.
Sugar Free Surup
  1. "Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil."
    • Easily done. No problem there. I did this while I waited for the bread to finish baking.
  2. "Add 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in one tablespoon cold water and return to a boil. The cornstarch and water will thicken to a syrupy texture."
    • No problem, though I was worried it wouldn't taste good.
  3. "Stir two tablespoons of your favorite no-sugar added fruit spread plus one tablespoon Splenda into the boiling liquid and stir until disolved."
    • I used Polaner Sugar Free with Fiber. It was the strawberry preserves one. Tastes nasty by itself.
    • Once it was all cooked and done, the sugar-free syrup tasted really good. Though it still had some sugar not sure why its called sugar free.

The next meal on the list is "Little Breakfast Soulfles." Stay tuned...

ps. I should come up with a closing remark or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment