Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken Tacos With Salsa

"There are just so many things that I want to do. I truly am my own worse enemy. Maybe if I make a list of the things I need to do I will actually get them done. I just can't  seem to understand why I am holding myself back. Maybe creating a schedule will help. Let's hope I manage to overcome this."


I wrote this a week and a half ago. I was supposed to have already put this post up but damn this laziness. It has gotten really bad. I'm surprised I make it to work and dance classes. I must truly put my foot down and work to lessen it. On a more personal note, I think I am putting my foot in mouth, excessively so. I really need to go on a social hiatus and see what I want, what I need and who I want to stand beside me. We don't need no labels as long as we have each other. I would just like someone by my side.

Book: Doña Barbara by Romulo Gallegos. I have stopped reading. I need to force myself to pick it up and try to get through this book. I know I can do it. Just have to stop letting the laziness win.

iTunes: Kelly Clarkson - Addicted. Ironic that this song plays. I am holding on to too many things that I should just let go. Friends, love interests, booze and etc...

Pandora: Slipknot - Before I Forget. This is the live version. Not bad. They sound pretty good. I might want to try to see them live. Well I don't want to be killed by the mosh pit or injured.

I find it interesting that these two songs were picked at random. One considering an addiction to something or someone and the other is letting one know that you should be true to yourself and not forgetting where you come from. I must remember who I am and despite the chaos I might be stepping in, I have to remember that I can only make the choices that would be best for me. Hopefully I make the correct choices.

Quote: It's not that we need new ideas, but we need to stop having old ones. - Edwin Land

Ingredients:
  1. 3 Lines
  2. 1/4 cup orange juice
  3. 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  4. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  5. 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  6. 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2" thickness
  7. 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
  8. 6 whole wheat flour tortillas (8" diameter)
  9. 2 cups fresh salsa
  10. 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
  11. 2 cups finely shredded leaf lettuce
Servings: 6
Per Serving:
305 Cal, 23g pro, 44g carb, 5g fiber, 4g fat,1g sat fat, 724mg sodium
Directions:
  1. Grate zest from lines into a large bowl. Cute limes in half and squeeze juice into same bowl. Discard limes. Stir in orange juice, cilantro, garlic, and cumin. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours, turning at least once while marinating.
    • I left this overnight. Also I made small holes in the chicken so that it would be absorbed some more.
  2. Heat large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard marinade. Add chicken and onion to skillet and cook 3 minutes per side, or until thermometer inserted in thickest portion register 160F and juices run clear and onion are softened. Cut chicken into 1" slices.
    • This was a bit tricky for the skillet I used was too big so only the chicken in the center was fully cooking. For the next, I think I will use a smaller skillet and pour half of the onion and cook half of the meat and then, once the chicken is cooked with the onions, cook the other half.
  3. Wrap tortillas in plastic wrap and microwave on high power 1 minute. Divide chicken mixture among tortillas. Top with Salsa, sour cream and lettuce. Roll to enclose the filling. Slice each taco in half.
    • I cut my chicken into pieces and heated the tortillas in the microwave. I put lettuce, chicken, salsa and sour cream on top.
    • The chicken tasted a bit off by itself. This was because the recipe did not call for salt. though when the chicken was mixed with the salsa it tasted delicious. So I recommend that you lather the chicken in the sauce with sour cream and it will taste quite delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment