Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Better Beef Lasagna

The social hiatus I am thinking of imposing on myself is going to be a tough one. I dislike being home and I fear I may break it, just so I can sit in someones house and get a break from home issues. Maybe that is what I can do. Seek refuge only when home life becomes too much. Just have to keep reminding myself to go out only when I can no longer contain it. Sounds tough but I hope I can do this so that I can think about the direction my life is heading in. Also, I'm thinking of switching it up a bit. I think I talk too much about myself here.

I had no problem locating the ingredients. Well obviously. The only ingredient not used was mushrooms. No one in my family eats that. Also, I worry about whether or not it would be fresh or if I am buying the right kind. I don't want to make my family sick. I was a bit skeptical about the spinach. Not a huge fan, but I remember eating a lasagna with spinach, a decade ago to be more precise. I remember it being delicious and so was this. You barely notice the taste of the spinach and when you do it is not that bad. Well maybe my taste buds have changed. Gasp! Is this a sign of getting old?

Book: Doña Barbara by Romulo Gallegos. I really, really have to force myself to read this.

iTunes: Fix your Face 4 - TRV$ DJ-AM. It's from their collaboration.

Pandora: Lost Heaven - L'Arc En Ciel

Quote: Please all, and you will please none. - Aesop

Ingredients:
  1. 12oz whole grain lasagna noodles (15 noodles)
  2. 8oz lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
  3. 2 tsp olive oil
  4. 8oz portobello mushrooms, chopped
  5. 4c low sodium marinara
  6. 1 container (15oz) part-skim ricotta
  7. 1pkg (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
  8. 1 lg egg, lightly beaten
  9. pinch of ground nutmeg
  10. 2/3 c grated part-skim mozzarella (3oz)
  11. 1/4 c grated Parmesan
Serves: 6
11g fiber, 7g sat fat, 1,000mg sodium, 550 Calories
Directions:
  1. Cook noodles al dente per package directions. Drain well, then lay out on wax paper to prevent sticking.
    • This was cooked second. For I believe that the meat takes longer to cook. Once the water was boiling I added salt. Also if left too long cooking, the pasta doesn't taste as good.
  2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking up lumps, 3 minutes. Transfer to plate, discarding any fat remaining in skillet.
    • Into the beef, went 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1/2 caldo de pollo and keep removing the fat at the end.
  3. Add oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms begins to brown, 5 minutes. Stir meat, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 cups marinara sauce.
    • No mushrooms were added. But once the meat was cooked we added the marinara sauce.
  4. Combine ricotta, spinach, egg, nutmeg and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper in bowl.
    • No problem there, though the spinach took a bit to defrost.
  5. Spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara in 13"x9" baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles, touching but not overlapping. Spread half of ricotta mixture on top. Add another layer of noodles and half of beef mixture. Repeat with another layer of noodles, then remaining cheese mixture, more noodles, remaining beef mixture, and finally 1 more layer of noodles and half of beef mixture. Repeat with another layer of noodles, then remaining cheese mixture, more noodles, remaining beef mixture, and finally 1 more layer of noodles. Top with remaining 1 cup marinara. Sprinkle with the grated cheeses.
    • No problem but our pan was not deep enough.
  6. Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a 375F oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.
    • Was not covered with foil and it didn't take as long to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment