Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sweet Potato Pancakes lacking Orange Honey Syrup

Small changes are going to be made to this blog, which I hope improves it in the long run.

Book: Still reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

iTunes: Queens of the Stone Age - Ode to Clarissa. Without fail this song reminds me of this old show I used to watch called "Clarissa Explains it all." Only because there is a line that says, "to your window I creep," and she had that neighbor who would always climb up her window.

Pandora: Aventura - Obsecion. Just makes me think of someone.

Quote of the week: When I looked around, I saw and heard of none like me. Was I then a monster, a blot upon the earth, from which all men fled, and whom all men disowned? - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. From now on quotes will come from whatever I am reading at the moment. Sometimes I feel as if I can't find someone like me or that I am a strange thing, that was thrown onto this earth.

Ingredients:
  1. One cup mashed sweet potato.
  2. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  3. 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  4. 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  5. 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  6. pinch of salt
  7. 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  8. 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  9. 1 egg
  10. 1 egg white
  11. Cooking Spray
  12. 2 tablespoons Orange Syrup
Orange Honey Syrup
  1. 1 tablespoon honey
  2. 1 tablespoon orange juice (any will do)
  3. 2 tablespoons water
  4. 2 teaspoons margarine

Directions:
  1. Thaw frozen sweet potato and measure out one cup. Or pierce a fresh sweet potato several times with a fork and microwave for 5 minutes until soft. Split the sweet potato and scoop out the flesh to measure one cup.
    • The sweet potato my mother bought was this giant, misshapen thing. As soon as she learned that I was going to attempt this recipe she comes in, grabs the sweet potato and starts washing it. Then She cuts it in half. I became upset because this is my project and she shouldn't be doing any of the work. Besides, how am I supposed to learn. Certain things I won't learn by watching. She became upset at me and called me an ungrateful child. Anyways, I cut the half into four pieces, placed it in a pan filled with water. I don't use the microwave as the book instructs because I don't think it will cook as well. I once had a friend cook rice using the microwave and it didn't taste pleasant to me. Certain things, you just shouldn't use a shortcut for. It did take some time to soften but it tasted delicious. While it was cooking, every now and then I would poke it with a fork.
  2. Mix flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
    • I did not have nutmeg. I didn't know if I could have used another substitute. I wouldn't even know what to substitute in its place. It was hard to tell if it was mixed in properly. It just looked white.
  3. Mash the sweet potato with milk, oil, egg, and egg white in a separate bowl and whisk until smooth.
    • Once the sweet potato was cooked, I picked it up with a spoon only to have it slip and fall back into the boiling water. Luckily, I wasn't burned but I came close to it. The skin, of the sweet potato, came off easily. and then i just smashed it with a fork. Then gathered all the ingredients and mixed them until it was smooth.
  4. Fold the flour mixture into the sweet potato mixture and let sit for two minutes.
    • I didn't wait the two minutes. Once it was mixed in well, I went and started to cook it.
  5. Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle and coat lightly with cooking spray. Drop 1/4 cup of batter to form pancake and cook until bubbles form and the edges of the pancake look dry. Flip the pancake and cook one minute longer. Keep the pancakes warm in a low-temp oven and then serve with orange honey syrup.
    • I had never eaten sweet potato pancakes and they were delicious. I can't wait to make them again for brunch. I had not eaten breakfast, so this turned into my brunch meal.
Orange Honey Syrup
  1. Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.
  2. Microwave 10 to 15 Min's
  3. Mix and serve well.
    • This took too long. It was the margarine and was not mixing too well. I think that next time I will have to just cook it instead of trying to microwave it. I just used light syrup that we have at home.
Hope you all enjoyed this week's goodies. The next recipe will be Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment