Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Skillet Mac & Cheese

Going back to school for a second degree. I am scared to be going back but I have a goal in sight and I refuse to back down from it. I sometimes feel as if there is too much lost potential or people, not fully using their gifts. I know I don't use all of my abilities to their full potential. That is something I'm going to work on. There is more on my mind but for now this is it.

I am not a huge fan of mac and cheese. Not sure why. I love cheese and pasta but this one particular recipe is something I always have avoided. This recipe was very good. I guess it's because of the paprika and cayenne. It  gave it a slight spicy taste. One thing I would take out if I remake this is the cauliflower. Not a huge fan of that part.

Book:Out of the Silent Plant by C.S. Lewis. In the middle of the book now. It is very small but I'm reading little by little.

iTunes: Jay-Z - Dirt off your Shoulder. I am trying to remove all the unnecessary components in my life.

Pandora: Swagga Like Us [Ft. Jay-Z, Kanye West,Lil' Wayne] - T.I. I am trying to work on my swagga. I want my clothes to be a small reflection of who I am. I want to be clean and cool headed.

Quote: Our life always expresses the result of our dominant thoughts. - Soren Kierkegaard. Not sure what it fully means but needed one for this post.

Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups cauliflower florets
  2. 1 1/4 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs, toasted
  3. 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan
  4. 2 tsp olive oil
  5. 6 oz whole grain elbow macaroni (1 1/2 C)
  6. 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
  7. 3 Cups cold 1% milk
  8. 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
  9. 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere
  10. 2 tsp mustard powder
  11. 3/4 tsp paprika
  12. 1/4 tsp cayenne
Serves: 6
Per servings:5g fiber, 8g sat fat, 540mg sodium, 360 calories
Directions:
  1. Steam cauliflower until just tender, 5 minutes. Finely chop.
    • I cut the cauliflower into four pieces so that it could fully cook. I also added some salt.
  2. Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, and oil.
    • I felt that it could have sued more oil but I did not add more.
  3. Cook macaroni per package directions, draining 3 minutes before done.
    • No problem here. I added salt though it was regular pasta I didn't find any whole grain elbow.
  4. Whisk flour into milk in large saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking. Simmer until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cheese, spices and 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Whisk until mixture is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add Cauliflower and macaroni and stir together.
    • They did not sell Gruyere cheese around where I live. I asked on google what to use as a substitute, and they recommended Swiss cheese. My mom helped keep stirring the cheese mixture until we added the macaroni and cauliflower. The Cauliflower was cut into smaller portions. I forgot to take a picture of this section.
  5. Pour into oiled deep 10" ovenproof skillet and top with bread crumb mixture. Put skillet on baking sheet. Bake in a 375 f oven until browned and bubbling, 33 to 40 minutes.
    • I oiled the pan, did not use a skillet and covered it with the bread crumb mixture. It tasted great, minus the cauliflower.

Definitely something that should be made again.

No comments:

Post a Comment