Sunday, December 18, 2011

Black Bean Enchiladas

There is a lot on my mind this week. I even made a mistake at work. Unfortunately, I am human. I just had a hard time concentrating. I believe that by writing and speaking with friends and family it will become clear. Hopefully.

This was written two months ago. I have not updated because I'm a bit blue and angry. I just have to think and hopefully find the answers that I seek. Just tired of things being overly complicated when they could be simple.

The easy black bean enchiladas was very delicious. This was the second time it had been made. The first time was done rather quickly. I had made plans to go out but decided to make my parents a quick meal. We did not have ground red pepper so I just used small pieces of red pepper. I only took a bite, so I can't remember if I liked it. This time when it was prepared we took a red pepper and chopped the entire thing instead of using a teaspoon. It tasted delicious and my mom says that it tastes better this time.

Book: Out of the Silent Plant by C.S. Lewis. Just started this and I find it interesting so far.

iTunes: Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz.

Pandora: The End of Heartache - Killswitch Engage. Life is not without it's ironies. This song describes my mood entirely.

Quote: Real worth requires no interpreter: it's everyday deeds form its emblem. - Nicolas Chamfort

Ingredients:
  1. 4 cloves garlic, minced
  2. 1 onion, chopped
  3. 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  4.  1 tsp chili powder
  5. 1 tsp ground cumin
  6. 1 tsp dried oregano
  7. 2 cans (15oz each) low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
  8. 1 1/2 cups fresh salsa
  9. 12 corn tortillas (6" diameter), warmed according to package
  10. 1 Can (14.5oz) no salt added diced tomatoes, well drained
  11. 1 Cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
  12. 3 Cups finely shredded lettuce
  13. 6 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
Servings: 6
Per serving: 267 cal, 14g pro, 51g carb, 11g fiber, 3g fat, 1g sat fat, 618mg sodium
Directions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13"x 9" baking dish with cooking spray.
    • Somehow, I completely skipped this step and didn't even realize it was supposed to be baked. I just went straight to the second step.
  2. Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook garlic, onion, bell pepper, red pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano and black pepper 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Mash beans and add to skillet with 3/4 cup of salsa. Cook 5 minutes, or until heated through.
    • Nothing to say here.
  3. Spoon about 1/4 cup bean mixture onto each tortilla, roll loosely and place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Combine tomatoes and remaining salsa in bowl and pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 to 20minutes, or until hot.
    • Here I warmed the tortillas on the oven and then spooned the bean mixture added the sauce and cheese and served it with the lettuce. Then I added the sour cream.
  4. Divide lettuce among 6 plates. Top each with 2 enchiladas and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
    • I combined this step with number 3.
I apologize for the shabbiness of this post but it was written two months ago and this is not fresh on my mind but at least its something.

No comments:

Post a Comment